THE greatest issues about adopting a pet embrace altering the animal’s life perpetually – and making a brand new greatest pal.
A examine of 500 adults, who’ve adopted a pet, discovered 74 per cent thought-about it to be some of the rewarding achievements.
Studying to like and take care of one thing apart from your self, and a perception that adoptees are extra appreciative of your consideration – and treats – are additionally benefits to taking a pet dwelling from a shelter.
The analysis was commissioned by Pedigree and Whiskas’ ‘The Adoption Mission Programme,’ which helps shelters throughout the UK.
Their ambassador, TV presenter Andrea McLean, who can be a rescue canine proprietor, stated: “This analysis comes as no shock, as I do know from expertise that adopted pets not solely develop into your greatest pal, however they full your loved ones.
“Adopting my Teddy was certainly one of my best achievements. He places a smile on my face as quickly as I stand up within the morning till I am going to mattress.
“Adoption is not essentially the simplest route, however it’s actually probably the most rewarding.
“My household and I’ve beloved each single second and are honored that we have been in a position to give Teddy the life he deserves.
“Adoption can look like fairly a frightening prospect to potential pet homeowners, however I would urge anybody to take a leap of religion and discover their very own greatest pal and companion.”
The examine discovered that of those that have adopted a pet, 53 per cent imagine there are plenty of myths and misconceptions round it.
Most learn in Leisure
This contains the concept that all pets that have to be rehomed are ‘damaged’ (35 per cent), that they’re solely in a shelter as they weren’t good pets for another person (32 per cent) or that you do not know their medical historical past (31 per cent).
Different misconceptions embrace them being badly behaved (31 per cent), and never understanding what you might be getting (31 per cent).
Whereas 43 per cent of all adults imagine getting a pet from a shelter could be extra work than shopping for one from a breeder.
Consequently, 71 per cent assume too many individuals dismiss the concept of all of it with out contemplating the method correctly.
However 83 per cent of these, who’ve adopted a pet, take into account their pet to be a part of the household.
And 51 per cent would extremely encourage others to undertake an animal, with 43 per cent believing it was a a lot simpler than anticipated, in line with the OnePoll knowledge.
The examine additionally discovered that just about three quarters (72 per cent) additionally declare the advantages that come from pet adoption far out means the challenges and misconceptions concerned.
Owen Johns, from the Pedigree and Whiskas’ Adoption Mission’ Programme, added: “The Adoption Mission is a web based platform which has been supporting shelters for over a 12 months with coaching, meals and experience as a way to assist them rehome extra animals.
Adoption is not essentially the simplest route, however it’s actually probably the most rewarding.”
TV presenter Andrea McLean
“Adopting a pet not solely offers deserving pets a brand new dwelling to thrive in, they’ll additionally present us with that a lot wanted assist to assist put a smile on our faces.
“It is no secret that those that undertake a pet from a shelter reap the rewards each bodily and emotionally.
“Nonetheless, it may be a frightening course of – however there are many sources to assist information you thru the method.
“Adopting from a shelter is a win-win selection. You possibly can add to your loved ones and assist a pet get a brand new begin in life.”
Halita Obineche, government director of the Affiliation of Canines and Cats Properties, added: “It is heart-breaking to think about the hundreds of canines and cats in shelters simply ready for his or her forever-home, merely due to the misconceptions round shelter animals.
“It is essential to keep in mind that, with the precise care and coaching, behavioral points could be managed, modified and prevented.
“Because of The Adoption Mission, shelters have consultants and behaviourists on standby to supply this assist each inside and past life in a shelter.
“Taking up a pet is a greater life selection and requires time and analysis to make sure you are totally ready for the duty.
“Many individuals have an total rewarding expertise from pet adoption, whether or not they’re an skilled pet proprietor or just making the step for the primary time.”
TOP 20 BEST THINGS ABOUT ADOPTING A PET FROM A SHELTER
1. You have modified an animal’s life perpetually
2. Saving an animal from a shelter is rewarding
3. Can save a pet from being put down
4. You make a brand new greatest pal
5. You are not encouraging breeding on pet farms
6. They’re extra appreciative of your love, care and treats
7. They have already got their vaccinations and are chipped and spayed already earlier than coming dwelling
8. You be taught to like and take care of one thing apart from your self
9. The shelter will match you with a pet that has comparable must you
10. You possibly can assist an animal be taught new issues
11. It is cheaper – you solely must pay an adoption payment
12. They’re already educated eg rest room educated, used to stroll on a lead
13. They have been by means of a conduct evaluation to allow them to be matched to you
14. Adopting from a shelter helps your psychological well being
15. You possibly can assist a pet step out of their consolation zone
16. You find yourself studying issues about your self you did not know
17. They’ve been child-tested so that you perceive their conduct round kids earlier than adopting
18. You develop into a part of a neighborhood of adopters
19. You possibly can skip the juvenile troubles and have an grownup pet
20. The continuing assist you obtain from a shelter