Skip to content

Couple’s warning to keep pets out of water after puppy dies after walk at Anton Lakes

A local council have advised dog walkers to keep pets out of the water at Anton Lakes in Andover as they test it for blue-green algae. A puppy sadly passed away following a recent walk at the lakes where it is suspected the substance, which is deadly to dogs, may be present.

Owner Hannah May Washington told Wiltshire Live that after taking their cocker spaniel Roo to the lake for his daily walk on April 30, little did her and boyfriend Jordan Shearman know that they would be returning without their beloved puppy.

They said: “We have taken Roo to the lakes many times before, but not so much recently, and did notice that a lot of the areas he would usually swim, was incredibly dirty, much more so than normal, so we didn’t spend so much time swimming in those areas, however he did jump in briefly for a lot of them”

READ NEXT:Tribute to wonderful Devon Banfield, 16, following train tragedy

The popular dog walking spot is situated just north of Andover, and has both a river and lake within its Nature reserve. According to the UK Center for Ecology and Hydrology, blue-green algae naturally occur in lakes, ponds, canals, rivers and reservoirs and is a type of bacteria which can produce toxic chemicals that are very harmful to the health of people and animals.

“They are particularly a health risk during warm summer months when their concentrations increase in the water to form blooms and scums on the surface. This can look like green or turquoise wispy paint, green scum or clumps of green particles.”

The walk seemed to be going completely fine until the young couple noticed towards the end of their walk that Roo’s eyes became a little droopy. “We figured he had gotten too much water in his eyes from him so we decided to end the walk and return to the car.”

On the way home Hannah says “we knew straight away something was wrong”. Roo was extremely agitated, and struggling to stand up so they rushed him to Strathmore Vetinary clinic. “While in my arms Roo began to have fits, struggling to breath, foaming at the mouth, it was the worst experience of my life having to hold him, speaking to him, telling him mummy and daddy loved him.”

In the 15 minutes the journey to the vets took, Roo had become pale, and was not breathing on his own. His heart stopped beating and he unfortunately passed away at around 7pm. Hannah said: “Our worst nightmare had officially happened, our precious, young, baby Roo had lost his life from him, so suddenly.

“Me and my partner are only 23 and 24, and we have just celebrated a year in our first home together, and a year with what can only be described as our first child in Roo. He was everything in our lives, quite literally. Our lives, our habits, our plans, revolved around our lovely pup, and so I can’t even begin to describe the pain we are in.”

The couple want to share their story as a warning to all dog walkers in Andover, that Anton Lakes is potentially dangerous and to avoid that location until further notice. Cllr Phil North put out a message to residents on May 3 to warn dog owners of the councils suspicions. He said that they had received a report of a dog sadly passing away and asked locals “Please keep dogs out of the water.”

READ NEXT: Dogs Trust Salisbury is seeking doggy foster ‘pawrents’ for their vulnerable rescues

In an official statement leader of Test Valley Borough Council, Councilor Phil North, said: “As a fellow dog owner, I was extremely saddened to hear about Roo’s passing following a walk at Anton Lakes. Although no cause of death has been confirmed with the council, following feedback from the vet we are taking a precautionary approach and are working with the Environment Agency to test the water for blue-green algae.

“This algae occurs naturally in bodies of freshwater but can be potentially dangerous to people and their pets. We are hoping to receive the results of the tests by the end of next week, and while we await the outcome, we are recommending that people and pets stay out of the water. Residents and pet owners can find out more about blue-green algae and its effects via the kennel club website.”

According to the Kennel Club the effects of blue-green algae on dogs may vary but there are some recognized effects including:

  • dribbling
  • tiredness
  • vomiting and diarrhea (both of which may be bloody)
  • effects on the heart and blood pressure
  • convulsions
  • breathing problems
  • organ failure

They add that signs often start within an hour, but may occur within a few minutes, or can sometimes be delayed by a few days. Many cases are life threatening and dogs can die very quickly.

You can stay up to date on the top news near you with Wiltshire Live’s FREE newsletters – enter your email address at the top of the page or sign up to our newsletters.

More news from Wiltshire Live:

.

Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.