|Covered Treatment||Illness/Injury Plan|
|Live vet chat 24/7||✓|
|Exam fees||Available at additional cost|
An insurance rider is an optional add-on to an insurance policy that further enhances your coverage. Some riders are free of charge and others come at an additional cost. Figo offers a version of riders called Powerups that make it possible to add extra features to your coverage. These Powerups include:
- Wellness: Preventative care coverage for things like annual exams, vaccines, spaying/neutering, and dental. This add-on is not available in all states.
- Veterinary exam fees for accident and illness visits: You will receive coverage for exam or consultation fees that are associated with the diagnosis and treatment of your pet that surpasses preventative care.
Generally, when you enroll in a new pet insurance policy you will experience a waiting period that restricts initial coverage. Figo’s waiting periods vary by event:
- Injuries caused by an accident: One-day waiting period
- illness: 14-day waiting period
- Orthopedic conditions (applies only to dogs): Six-month waiting period
Figo has a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can take some time to see if Figo works for you, and if you cancel within that 30-day period, you’ll get a full refund of your premium as long as you haven’t filed a claim up to that point. If you decide you want to cancel after the first 30 days, your eligibility for a refund will depend on the state you live in.
The one state exception to the 30-day free look period is Pennsylvania, as 30-day free look periods aren’t legally allowed.
To cancel your policy you can email email@example.com, or you can start the process over the phone at (844) 738-3446. Figo does require you to make your cancellation request in writing by email.
The following medical issues and procedures aren’t covered by Figo:
- Pre-existing conditions
- Experimental procedures
- Breeding, pregnancy, or giving birth
- Cloned pets or cloning procedures
- cosmetic surgery
- Most parasites
If a pet’s pre-existing condition is curable and has been cured, and the pet has not needed treatment or experienced symptoms for 12 months, the condition won’t be considered pre-existing anymore and will be covered, with the exception of ligament and knee conditions.
Figo does not require an exam in order to enroll in coverage, but it does request to see your pet’s annual health exam records from a licensed veterinarian 12 months prior to the effective date of your insurance policy. If you don’t provide these records, the first documented vet exam after your policy begins may be used to determine pre-existing conditions.
Pet insurance costs vary due to factors like age and breed, so you will need to get a custom quote to see what a policy will cost you. How large or small you want your deductible to be will also impact the cost of your premium (your deductible is the amount you will need to pay out of pocket before your insurance coverage kicks in).
Deductible amounts through Figo range from $100 to $1,500. When it comes to reimbursement you can choose a rate from 70% to 100%.
An enrollment fee will apply, and if you choose to pay monthly rather than annually you’ll also pay a monthly installation fee. Discounts are available as well, but they can vary by state; you may be eligible for discounts such as:
- Multi-pet discount
- Vet employee discount
- military veteran discount
Figo says it closes claims in an average of just 2.6 working days, so you can typically expect any claims to be handled quickly. It doesn’t cap claim payments by condition type, which makes it easier to get the most out of your annual benefits.
To file a claim you will first visit your vet (who must be licensed) and then upload your vet bill and paid invoice, which you can do from any device via Figo’s Pet Cloud. Next, you’ll have to ask your vet to send Figo your pet’s medical records, and once they receive those records (two years’ worth is ideal) your claim will be complete. You can submit a claim via phone or fax as well.
Your claim will be processed within 30 days of receipt (but remember, Figo averages 2.6 days). Submitting all the required documentation will make the process faster.
You can contact Figo for customer support in a variety of ways:
- Phone: (844) 738-3446
- Text: (844) 262-8133
- Fax: (773) 966-0769
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Customer support is available during the following days and times (Central Time):
- Monday to Friday (general support): 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Monday to Friday (claim-related support): 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- saturday: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- sunday: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. (text support only)
In our independent study of pet insurance customers, Figo customers gave the following positive feedback:
- “My veterinarian’s recommendation really swung it in that direction.”
- “They offered it, and it seemed like a reasonable investment to make.”
- “Because I like the coverage for the cost.”
Figo’s main underwriter, Independence American Insurance Company (IAIC), has a solid A-rating from AM Best, enough for an “Excellent” categorization. This indicates that IAIC is financially strong and stable, with a solid track record of paying out claims.
When shopping around for a pet insurance policy it’s important to do your research. Try to find answers to the following questions about each provider you’re considering so you can get an idea of which one will be able to meet the needs of your pet and your budget.
- How much is the coverage limit?
- How much is the monthly premium?
- How much is the deductible?
- Is there a pet cutoff age (minimum/maximum)?
- Are there any coverage exclusions?
- Is there a wellness policy and what does it include?
- Are dental cleanings or oral surgeries included?
Those looking for pet insurance to protect their furry friends will find that Figo offers solid, affordable coverage. With a single, comprehensive plan at varying coverage amounts to choose from (plus some optional riders), customers can personalize the insurance they need for their pet and their budget.
Our Methodology: How We Review Pet Insurance Carriers
Investopedia is dedicated to providing consumers with unbiased, comprehensive reviews of pet insurance companies. We rated 25 providers and collected over 2,000 data points, including information about plan options, company features, and fees and limits, to ensure that our reviews help users make informed decisions for their pet insurance needs.