Recognized for its huge macarons, pink branding and flaky croissants, Whisk bakery has unveiled a sister outpost within the West Finish. New proprietor Billy Bryan took over the unique Shockoe Backside location in March and has been rising to the event ever since. (Richmond Journal)
A Buzz-worthy Pair
Espresso has a manner of bringing like-minded folks collectively. After initially assembly at a restaurant, Cheryl (the “Chook”) and Jon (the “J”) Robison launched a buzzy enterprise collectively greater than a decade later. Now companions in work and life, the duo behind JBird Provide will be discovered promoting beans and chilly brews on the Birdhouse Farmers Market. (Richmond Journal)
The phrase “salad” will be interpreted quite broadly, from savory to candy and all over the place in between. On this month’s 5 Faves, as we bid farewell to summer time and beckon fall, author Genevelyn Steele hunts down a group of produce-packed dishes, together with contemporary tabbouleh at a low-key shawarma spot and a make-your-own bowl state of affairs at a California-style taqueria. (Richmond Journal)
let it develop
The world’s largest indoor vertical farming complicated will quickly name Richmond house. The $300 million Meadowville mission will specialise in rising Driscoll’s strawberries. (Richmond BizSense)
Love, Tito’s Block to Block — a nationwide group backyard and farm program that companions with native nonprofits — paid a go to to Richmond’s Shalom Farms to implement main upgrades to the Northside city inexperienced house. (Information launch)
Wine in Thoughts
Patrick Swayze, Keanu Reeves, Gary Busey and Can Can Brasserie. What do all of them have in frequent? On Tuesday, Oct. 4, the Carytown restaurant will host its first wine dinner, channeling all the massive waves of the 1991 traditional “Level Break,” from the menu to wine pairings from Terroirizer.
Curious oenophiles, hop within the automotive for a mini highway journey to Charlottesville on Sunday, Oct. 23. Dubbed Two Up, Wine Down, the inaugural wine-forward pageant can be “shining a highlight on BIPOC wine professionals, lovers and allies” all through the state. Companions embody Richmond’s Richwine and The Verasion Venture, and advance tickets begin at $15.
I Scream, You Scream
Skipping dinner and heading straight for dessert, Candy Wynn’s college students colleges on the craft of ice cream making. Relocating from Midlothian, the enterprise has discovered a brand new house to host workshops at 1209 E. Predominant St.
Serving scoops from Madison, Wisconsin — the guts of America’s dairyland — and hailing from West Level, the place the unique store opened in 2020, ice cream store The Lazy Cow will quickly make its space debut. Proprietor and Mechanicsville native Amanda Franklin is returning to her roots de ella with a second candy outpost at 7038 Mechanicsville Turnpike.
Additional juicy and with a deep vermilion coloration, the practically extinct Purple-N-Candy watermelon is making a comeback within the commonwealth. (Richmond Journal)
Ames Russell of AR’s Sizzling Southern Honey reveals how to boost dishes along with his heat-kissed condiment within the not too long ago launched “Sizzling Honey Cookbook,” that includes domestically sourced recipes from spoonbread to s’mores. (Richmond Journal)
We caught up with longtime native farmer Amy Hicks of Amy’s Backyard in our newest Highlight; the grower mentions ciders, carbs and cheese as shiny spots in her life de ella. (Richmond Journal)
Following a two-year hiatus, the RVA East Finish Pageant is again in motion Sept. 24. The profit to assist Richmond Public Faculties college students within the East Finish guarantees a full day of stay music, meals vehicles and distributors. (Richmond Journal)
Nostalgic sweet retailer chain Rocket Fizz is closing its Carytown retailer on the finish of September after a seven-year run. (Richmond BizSense)
An area caterer and financier have joined forces to introduce a forthcoming jazz lounge. Taking up the shuttered Spoonbread Bistro house within the Fan, Mike’s Jazz Cafe plans to get groovin’ within the coming months with a deal with music and soul meals. (Richmond BizSense)
Elevate a pint of Paulaner at Maymont’s first ever Bavarian-style Bier-Backyard this weekend, Sept. 23-24. Native brews can be flowing, and friends can stay up for brats through the Mayor, schnitzel and charcuterie from Capital Ale Home, and extra. (Information launch)
Final name for Kitchen 64 — when September ends, the Arthur Ashe Boulevard eatery from Johnny and Katrina Giavos will shut its doorways for good.
With an ampersand-accented title, Butcher & Chook is the most recent enterprise from husband-and-wife crew Mike Lindsey and Kimberly Love-Lindsey. The restaurateurs teased their new catering firm specializing in smoked meats and fried rooster on Instagram. PS: Keep tuned for extra particulars on the pair’s soon-to-open ML Steakhouse.
What number of edible adventures can one pack into 24 hours in Richmond? Eater DC not too long ago took on the tasty activity, laying out a stable itinerary and having fun with every part from pierogis at Jewish deli Perly’s to cocktails at Jackson Ward’s Saison.
- Drankin’ and Bakin’, Pies & Muffins (Sept. 23): Snacks and treats by baker Chastity Rodriguez-Hise and boozy bevs from cocktail guru Beth Dixon
- Wine & Meals Pairing With Barrel Thief, The Kitchen Classroom (Sept. 23): Take an edible tour of the Mediterranean with a culinary exploration of Spain, Sicily and extra.
- Agriberry Farm Go to Day, Agriberry Farm (Sept. 24): Go to the Hanover farm and depart with a bucket of berries.
- Oktoberfest, Get Tight Lounge (Sept. 24-25): Massive pretzels, beer cheese, Baltimore pit beef sandwiches and Jagermeister
- Carytown Pleasure Protected House Market, Carytown (Sept. 25): With Pleasure Fest on Saturday, this Sunday market that options traditionally underrepresented people returns with a full record of distributors and appearances from TBT El Gallo and Davverro Gelato.
- Brunch on the Plaza, Kanawha Plaza (Sept. 25): Kick off Sunday Funday on the out of doors gathering that mixes beats and brunch.
- Barbados Catering Pop-up, The Veil Brewing Co. Forest Hill Avenue (Sept. 25): Chef and native Venezuelan Kerwin Gonzalez shares a style of his house nation.
- Mushroom Foraging 101, Forest Hill Park (Sept. 26): Discover the woods with fellow bartenders through the US Bartenders Guild gathering (bartenders needn’t be USBG members to participate).
- Horne Canine Pop-up, Helen’s (Sept. 26): The glizzy gang is again with a State Honest-inspired menu together with donut canines.
- Ultimate Gravity’s seventh Anniversary, Ultimate Gravity Brewing (Sept. 26): The Lakeside brewery marks seven years with visitor faucets, particular releases, and bites from River Metropolis Wooden Fireplace Pizza and Smashed RVA.